Monday, March 31, 2014

1/13/2014 I am not a good Golfer

Hey Family!
Mom I have a request. Could you send me a copy of my patriarchal blessing. I had one, but I haven't been able to find it in a little while, so I think I left it in my other bag that is over on the continent aka mainland Portugal. I don't know if you have a copy and I don't know how to tell you where it is in my stuff because I don't know where all my stuff ended up being stored, but it would be in a file of spiritual stuff in the black plastic file bin with a clear top. If not, if its too big of a hassle or something, its OK, but I would really like to be able to have it.
We went mini-golfing today! By the ocean! Perks of living on an island.  I am not a very good golfer, but I have other talents. (Sometimes I just need to be reminded of what they are so I can thank God for them and use them more effectively.)

This week.
We have been working with a man named Domingos to prepare him for baptism. He has been working on quitting smoking, which is rough for anyone, and if you ever thought for a minute about picking up that habit (which you haven't) DON'T! It sucks.It sucks away your health, your energy, your money, your control over yourself, and not to mention the spirit. But he is doing great, and so we should be having his baptism on Saturday if everything goes well. Which is really so so great. His mom has been a member for years and his brother was baptized about 3 weeks ago. His sister that he has been living with the last few months had been investigating the church and was even about to get baptized, but then her husband got really anti-Mormon right before the baptism (its so crazy how often that happens). So basically its a great miracle and one-step closer to completing an eternal family! So that's what we have been working on the most. 

In other news, one of our recent converts who has been turning less active since her brother went on a mini-mission decided this week that she didn't know if she really knew that the church was true or if she just liked the elders who baptized her. and its so sad and frustrating because we have told her again and again, IF you don't pray, read, or go to chuch,THEN you will lose your testimony. It is so clear. IF you don't live the principle, THEN you will not understand it anymore. God is so clear. We get confused when we don't live the gospel. When we are living it, we grow; when we aren't we diminish. It really is that simple. And if you are willing to live it, it makes sense why too.

We are condemned when we live and act AGAINST what we know. When we don't know we are less culpable. If we knew 100% what we should do and we didn't do it, its a lot worse than if we just think we should do it and then don't. We aren't capable of living all the principles God lives. If we were we wouldn't have to pass through this life and develop them. So its really easier and nicer for us to develop them one at a time, having faith and learning to understand step by step than having all the information thrown at you all at once. A kindergartener would never succeed if he was taugh numbers, addition and calculus all in one day. We are the same. 

You just have to do it. Its so simple. Just do it.
There is no magic pill. There is no short cut. There is no steroid, or teleporter, or anything. We just have to brace our teeth and do it and he promises that He will pour out His blessings upon us. 


I have discovered the secret for happiness.
Gratitude.
In the end it wasn't such a great secret, but for some reason people still have such a hard time doing it, being grateful for things.

Hey I love you guys and I love hearing about what's going on in your lives. Like Hannah's opera and Katy's everything.  Keep me updated. 
How is scripture study going? anybody learn anything cool?
How's the snow?
How was new year's?
How is going back to school been?

What's your favorite memory of the last week?
How are your new year's resolutions going?
Mine are going pretty great.*  I missed a few days of journaling a positive experience (which ruins the whole thing) but I'm getting back into it this week.
*Saying 3 things I'm grateful for, journaling one positive experience of the last 24 hrs, and working out daily (except Sunday) ~being happy
I forgot I need to be doing a nice thing for someone every day, so I will get back on that....
and praying with my planner or study journal near by ~recognizing the spirit
Love you guys!!!! I will talk to you next week.
Steph\Sister Lofgreen

No comments:

Post a Comment