Sunday, September 29, 2013

August 19, 2013

Sometimes my dad says really profound things that sound like their coming out of a book. like this: ".. but again, to everything it's season. . . . Can't I just have a little control of the seasons? . . . Nah, it'd always be fall with the colored leaves and with a touch of chill in the air. As much as I like that now, it might get a little boring after a couple of years. :)

Hey family. I love you guys so so so very much.
I don't think you guys understand it, but I really love you so much more every day that I am here. And not because I miss you (I do miss you, but that's ok), but because I feel that I am getting better and better at being a good person (I still have so so so so so so so far to go) but I think that the more I serve the Lord the more I learn about Him and more I learn to love Him and the more I learn the importance of the love He has for us and all of these things just make me love each and every one of you guys that much more, because I know that we are going to be family for ever and because I feel some of Heavenly Father's love for you. And families like ours are so so rare, especially when you are not living in the middle of the gospel culture, a culture where families love each other.
But anyway, this week was good. We are working with this lady F, who is really cool. She's really logical, but the amazing thing is that we just left her with invites to pray about really specific simple things (book of mormon, joseph smith, baptism,..) one after each lesson and each time, we would come back and she wouldn't say that she got an answer but the she would explain to us why it makes sense that the book of mormon is true and how much she loved reading it and the sign God gave her that its important,and then  explain why it makes sense that God would call prophets, and everytime like that. She would reason out the answer, but because she had asked and wanted to know her doubts were answered and her fears were calmed. She did her part and the Lord knew her and how to help her with her doubts in the way that worked for her. So often we don't see how the Lord works with us but those on the outside do.
Its amazing how consistent people are. When we go into a lesson 99% of the time I know if someone read and prayed or not just on their attitude about meeting with us. You can tell if they have been reading in the Book of Mormon (even if they didn't understand the whole chapter, you can tell whether or not they exercized their faith enough to just sit down and sincerely read) so quickly and easily.
I love Alma 26:22:
22 Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to ereveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance. l
I love it because it is to those who have faith, repent and live the basic principles of the gospel that God will give understanding of the mysteries we are all seeking to understand in this life. And you can really see how true that is in the lives of other people. Why then is it so hard for us to do the little things that will let us understand the hard questions: why bad things happen to good people, why life is hard, what god wants from us, what we are here to do, how to be happy. the things that matter.
But as for F., pray for her to resolve her doubts. She's so close and she will bring so much good into the lives of all her family if she can get through this period of doubt.
Well I better close so my comp can use the computer too today.. But I love you so so so so so much.
Please read your scriptures, pray,  love people, do good things and just be a good person. Its really the little things that make and break us.
And as for all the little things that we still have a hard time with: the Atonement is real and it works. (I heard a cool story about that too. an elder who really offended a girl who is a member here now. I happen to know this elder and know that he had really changed and that he would never want that. but she was sent the people in her life to help her overcome that trial that she had and now she has an amazing testimony and her sister too. The Savior took care of the things that he couldn't do because he really repented and changed and became better and trusted in the Lord.)
I love you guys so so so so much!!!!!!
Sorry I'm always such mess in my emails.

Steph

P.S.
Paul!!!! Awesome talk! you are amazing you and your testimony of the gospel already inspire me!!! (your future wife is one lucky young lady, haha, but seriously your testimony of the priesthood and womanhood is wonderful.)

Jeremy, Elder (Sam) Stratford says hi. He says he knows you and Jonny.
Also go watch 3 Ninjas for me. I used to always want to watch that show but couldn't remember what it was. What are you planning for this fall? Are you going back to Elmira? working?

Is school starting soon for everybody?




No comments:

Post a Comment