Sunday, November 18, 2012

I LOVE CHRISTMAS! (aka all elf quotes have been thoroughly wiped from my memory.)

Hello Family!

How is life? Big question I know. Thanksgiving coming up. I've been trying to explain it to my companion and our British elders, but I haven't been succeeding. All we really have to say about it is that we eat a lot, but that isn't the sentiment that I remember. I remember lots of food, but more than that I remember the holiday feeling that envelopes everything and having all the family at grammie's house and the atmosphere of all the mom's and everyone working together to get this giant meal, to create the experience of their childhoods, the memories that are share about who like what foods and why we eat certain foods and that all that good feeling and family memories and gratitude for those who have gone before us and left us this legacy of family and the gospel is stuffed into one meal. I love it. So enjoy it with out me. That sounded really depressing, but that's not how I meant it at all. I am genuinely happy to know that you will all be getting together and having that experience that I love. And I am happy that I get to be in the place where I have found more gratitude for the blessings of the gospel that I have had all my life and where I have learned more about the joy that gratitude brings (not the other way around). Plus I overheard some people at the front desk talking about the humanitarian projects they were getting ready for thanksgiving for us to work on. And I can't think of anything better to be doing in the MTC on thanksgiving, so I'm pretty excited for that too. 

Some things that I am thankful for today:

Mom!!!!
You are fantastic! I am so impressed by your bravery and your trust in the Lord. Thank you so much for your example of this. It really has changed me. I loved getting the familiar subject line of Hello from Herriman when I got on my email this week. 
Dad! 
That I always know that you will do what the Lord asks of you no matter what. I've never had to doubt that. So thanks. It's really set the bar pretty high for what I expect. 
Jeremy!
Your loyalty.
Hannah!
Your love. (your letters mean the world.)
Paul!
Your sincerity and care for your younger brothers, and forgiveness. You're the bomb at forgiveness.
Tom!
Your intelligence and willingness to recognize the good things in the world and that they come from Heavenly Father.
Will! 
Your joy! Your power to lift.
Katy!
To have a friend to rely on and relate to no matter what! and your passion for life. 

Sorry those have to be so short. but clock's a tickin. 

Last thing. What I learned this week. That the Lord is not always going to tell us when the Spirit is working on us (listen to Eld. Bednar talk about this, The 20 Mark Note.) and that we will be able to follow it and do what He asks of us when we are focused on helping others and focused on Him (which are usually the same thing). How's that for concise. Maybe if I remember sometime I will tell you how I learned that.


I love you all so much and am always praying for you. Let me know how the holiday season is kicking off and anything and everything else that matters to you, that's going on, or what ever!

Much love,

Sister
Stephanie Lyn Lofgreen\
Steph/ whatever else you want to call me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment